Ten of the best places to have a romantic getaway:
1. New York City, NY. A classic romantic vacation destination. Try staying at the Crosby Street Hotel in SoHo. This 86-room hotel will make you feel at home with its unique interior design style. Each guest room and suite looks like a luxurious bedroom.
Enjoy one of the many romantic activities New York City has to offer, like walking by the lighted fountains at the Lincoln Center for Performing Arts, having dinner in Central Park followed by a carriage ride, ice skating at Rockefeller Center, going to the Roof Gardens at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, or going to the top of the Empire State Building .
2. Paris, France. Paris is one of the most romantic places in the world. Try staying at the Four Seasons George V, just steps from the Champs-Elysees, where you can enjoy a private dinner with a view of the Eiffel Tower from your guest room or suite terrace.
A great couples activity to do in Paris is to take cooking classes at Ecole de Cuisine Alain Ducasse from top French chefs, such as Romain Corbiere, the former Executive Chef of Ducasse’s le Relais du Parc. Classes consist of going to the farmer’s market to pick out the best ingredients, and then heading back to get a hands-on lesson on how to prepare it.
3. Beaver Creek, Colorado. Beaver Creek is one of the world’s premier ski destinations. Try apres-ski for two at Zach’s Cabin, accessible only by a private sleigh ride, or Ritz Carlton’s Spago by Wolfgang Puck. During the summer months, take a hot air balloon ride over the Rockies and drink champagne as you take in the beautiful views! Stay at the Ritz Carlton Residence Club in Beaver Creek, where you can rent a luxury condo and have all the benefits of the hotel, such as maid service, room service, and concierge.
4. Venice, Italy. Eat amazing Italian food, take romantic gondola rides, and enjoy the history of one of the oldest cities in the world. The Palazzina Grassi is a 22-room boutique hotel located on the Canal Grand, just steps away from Campo Santo Stefano. This artsy hotel has a modernist glass collection in a sparkling space designed by Phillipe Starck.
5. St. Moritz, Switzerland. While staying at the Diavolezza, the best of the five St. Mortiz ski areas, a tram will drop you at the 10,000 foot summit at night to go moonlight skiing. Ski down the mountain in the blue moonlight and take in views of the glacial Bernina Range. Then, take the ski lift back to the top for dinner at Berghaus Diavolezza Restaurant. Enjoy classic Swiss cuisine such as Bundnerfleisch, Rosti potatoes, and cheese fondue.
6. Buenos Aires, Argentina. Stay at the Algodon Mansion overlooking the Recoleta neighborhood. This hotel only has 10 beautiful suites, so you’re sure to receive amazing service. Each suite has limestone and marble bathrooms, ebony floors, and views of the hotel’s central atrium and two story waterfall. You can have delicious dinners, walk through the city, and arrange for a romantic sunset tango lesson for two through the hotel. The rooftop pool features tea decks and lounge chairs, and hosts chic cocktail pool parties in the evenings.
7. Bali, Indonesia. Enjoy a private villa at Four Seasons Resort at Jimbaran Bay. Villas include separate sleeping, bathing and living pavilions as well as a plunge pool. On Tuesday and Saturday nights, the Four Seasons has a Beds on Beach night, where they lay out 20 silk canopied beds and candles along the beach. They play jazz music and serve Asian tapas and cocktails while you watch the sunset across the Indian Ocean.
8. Cook Islands. The Aitutaki Lagoon Resort and Spa is the only resort on the Cooks Islands, located on its own island and one of the prettiest lagoons. Enjoy some serious R&R and lay on the beach, take naps in a hammock, enjoy the spa, or go snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking, and motu walking.
9. Zanzibar, Tanzania. The Kilindi resort in Tanzania is a picturesque assortment of pavilions, “cascading rain-water pools, lush tropical gardens and domed private spaces of rest, indulgence and well-being” along the coast of Northern Zanzibar. Kilindi is a sustainable resort that uses solar power and has its own state-of-the-art water treatment plant. Enjoy the spa, where East African therapists use traditional techniques that incorporate herbs, oil and honey. Kilindi is definitely a place to get away from it all and relax with your significant other.
10. Bogota, Colombia. The Sofitel Bogota Victoria Regia is a 102-room luxury hotel located in the Zona Rosa district, near the art galleries. Visit La Candelaria, a historic district with a romantic, bohemian vibe. There are many cafes, art galleries, and restaurants there, such as the Fernando Botero Museum and El Museo del Oro, home to a 6,500 piece collection of pre-Columbian gold coins and other art.
Zona T is a pedestrian street where you can sit at cafes, drink wine, and people watch. Try Pravda, where they have excellent martinis, or Juan Valdez, for some of the best coffee in the world. For Sunday lunch, go to Andres Carne de Res, just outside of the city. They have great food and a special transportation service to accommodate patrons. On Friday nights you can go there to have drinks and party.
Recommended romantic restaurants are Astrid y Gaston, Harry’s Bar, Club Columbia, Nasce, and Watakushi.