1. California Coastal Trail, CA
This one is especially close to my heart… and my home! This is my favorite not only because it’s so beautiful, but because I have direct access to it. The 1200 miles of the Pacific Coastline stretch from Santa Barbara to Oregon with views of Big Sur and Tijuana.
2. Umpqua Dunes of Winchester Bay, Oregon
Where are the camels? oh wait, it’s in oregon…
You’ll feel like you’re in an exotic land on these amazing sand dunes!
3. Third Beach to Oil City, Olympic National Park in Washington
During low tide, you can see starfish, anemones and slugs
4. Dungeness Trail, Cumberland Island off the coast of Georgia
Explore the moss covered ruins of the Carnegie Mansion… beautiful and creepy at the same time! One of the coolest things about Cumberland Island is that wild horses roam free on the beach…
5. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, MI
The North Country Trail stretches from Crown Point in New York’s Adirondacks to Lake Sakakawea in North Dakota. Here it is in Michigan along Lake Superior…
6. Sunken Forest, Fire Island, NY
I haven’t been to Fire Island since I was a kid, but I remember riding my bike from one end to another and enjoying this rare holly forest…
7. Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, Anchorage, Alaska
You might spot a bald eagle here, flying through the snow-capped mountains along Knik Arm, home to some of the world’s fastest tides…
8. Clayhead Trail on Block Island, RI
Walk along the beach and enjoy views of the Block Island Sound
9. Precipice Trail, Mount Desert Island, Acadia National Park, ME
This trail is not for the faint of heart! It’s a dangerous, vertical climb up Champlain Mountain using boulders as stairs. From the top you can see views of the Cranberry Islands and the Maine coast.