Traveling to new destinations can be inspiring in many ways. The architecture, colors and culture can be very intoxicating. It’s hard not to bring back souvenirs, original artwork and furniture, but the good news is that you can incorporate them into your home.
- Choose a theme for your entire home, or decide on one for each room.
- Choose a focal point: Did you bring back a piece of furniture that can inspire the decor of the room? If not, try to find a piece that reminds you of the destination you’re trying to emulate – like a Navajo rug, Turkish table, or vintage trunk – and then take it from there.
- Tchochkes: If you brought lots of small items back, scatter them throughout the room, or display them on a shelf.
- Use some of your souvenirs for unexpected things – if you found some fabric, make them into pillows or a tablecloth.
- Use the color palette of the region you are inspired by to accentuate the room.
- Bring back original artwork.
- Consider compatibility when mixing styles – don’t mix more than two or three.
- Don’t develop the style too literally!